- Barnaba, F. et al., 2004, Aerosol seasonal variability over the Mediterranean region and relative impact of maritime, continental and Saharan dust particles over the basin from MODIS data in the year 2001. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 4, 2367-2391.
- Basart, et al., 2009; Aerosol characterization in Northern Africa, Northeastern Atlantic, Mediterranean Basin and Middle East from direct-sun AERONET observations,
Atmos. Chem. Phys., 9, 8265–8282
- Cairo, F., et al., 1999, Comparison of Various Linear Depolarization Parameters Measured by Lidar, Applied Optics, Vol. 38, Issue 21, pp. 4425-4432.
- EC, 2010: Guidance on the quantification of the contribution of natural sources under the EU Air Quality Directive 2008/50/EC, DG Environment, Draft version 2, May 2010.
- Escudero M., et al., 2007, A methodology for the quantification of the net African dust load in air quality monitoring networks Atmospheric Environment 41, 5516–5524.
- Flentje, H., et al., 2010, The Eyjafjallajökull eruption in April 2010 – detection of volcanic plume using insitu measurements, ozone sondes and a new generation
ceilometer network; Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 10, 14947-14968.
- Gobbi, G. P., et al, 2000, Altitude-resolved properties of a Saharan dust event over the Mediterranean, Atmospheric Environment, 34, 5119 - 5127.
- Gobbi, G. P., et al., 2003, Lidar and in situ observations of continental and Saharan aerosol: closure analysis of particles optical and physical properties,
Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 3, 2161-2172.
- Gobbi, G. P., et al., 2004, The vertical distribution of aerosols, Saharan dust and cirrus clouds in Rome (Italy) in the year 2001, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 4, 351-359.
- Gobbi, et al., 2006, Relating Saharan Dust to Particulate Matter Amounts in the City of Rome (Italy), a Four-Year Study; Chemical Engineering Transactions,
ISBN88-901915-7-0, Vol. 10, 375-380.
- Gobbi, G. P., et al., 2007, Estimating the impact of Saharan Dust on the PM10 record in Rome (Italy) in 2001, Atmospheric Environment, 41, 261-275.
- Hatzianastassiou, N., et al., 2009, Natural versus anthropogenic aerosols in the eastern Mediterranean basin derived from multiyear TOMS and MODIS satellite data,
J. Geophys. Res., 114, D24202.
- Mitsakou, C., et al., 2008, Saharan dust levels in Greece and received inhalation doses, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 8, 7181-7192.
- Moulin, C, et al., 1998, Satellite climatology of African dust transport in the Mediterranean atmosphere, J. Geophys. Res., 103, 13,137–13,144.
- NILU, 2001, ‘Criteria for monitoring sites under EMEP’, in EMEP Manual for Sampling and Chemical Analysis, Chapter 2, EMEP/CCC-Report 1/95, available at http://www.nilu.no/projects/CCC/manual/
- Perrino et al., 2009, Influence of natural events on the concentration and composition of atmospheric particulate matter, Atmospheric Environment 43, 4766–4779.
- Pope, C. A., et. al., 2002, Lung Cancer, Cardiopulmonary Mortality and Long-Term Exposure to Fine Particulate Air Pollution Journal of the American Medical Association
Vol. 287, 9.
- Querol, X., et al., 2009, African dust contributions to mean ambient PM10 mass-levels across the Mediterranean Basin. Atmospheric Environment 43, 28, 4266-4277.
- Querol, X., et al., 2004, Levels of particulate matter in rural, urban and industrial sites in Spain, Science of the Total Environment 334– 335 (2004) 359–376.
- Querol, X., et al., 2001, PM10 and PM2,5 Source apportionment in the Barcelona metropolitan area, Atmospheric Environment, 35, 6417-6439.
- Rodriguez, S., et al., 2001, Atmospheric Saharan dust contributions to PM10 and TSP levels in Southern and Eastern Spain, Atmospheric Environment, 35, 2433-2447.
- Samoli, E. et al., 2008, Acute Effects of Ambient Particulate Matter on Mortality in Europe and North America: Results from the APHENA Study, Environ. Health Perspect., 116,
- Spang W., et al., 2007, Development of the methodologies to determine representativeness and classification of air quality monitoring stations, DRAFT FINAL REPORT, available at http://ec.europa.eu/environment/air/quality/legislation/pdf/report_uba.pdf.